Monday, August 02, 2010

Why I love breastfeeding!

Ah Breastfeeding.

It's a natural and beautiful thing, but isn't always easy. I have been nursing since January 2007, that's when my oldest was born.

Nursing was hard. Between working around an IV in her hand, then her head, and the blood blisters and cracked nipples I really felt defeated. Like I just couldn't do this anymore.

When we bring her home nursing seemed to get better until that thing called engorgement happened. My boobs didn't really hurt but were huge and full and Becka couldn't latch. I got a cheap-o pump and she still couldn't latch. She went 10 hours without eating at all and then I fed her for 2 days with a bottle. I cried, my husband cried, and she cried. It was pretty miserable and daunting.

But we worked through it.

People aren't kidding when they say the first 2-3 weeks are the hardest and that it does hurt. Don't let anyone tell you that "it's not suppose to hurt" because unless your nipples have been washed with steel wool this entire time it will hurt, but it goes away!

I know this sounds intimidating, but it wasn't. It was such a short period of the 21 months I spent nursing her. Nursing is just beautiful and it was worth the pain to get to the point where we both enjoyed nursing and were comfortable. I am thankful I didn't give up, thankful for my husband who supported me and the lactation consultant who answered my teary calls at 6am.

Taegen was born in 2009 and she latched on like a pro. Like she was born to do this (haha, of course she was).

It's been an amazing experience and something I will cherish. She's 14 months old now and still nurses, happily, and at times nursing a toddler can be a challenge (like when she decides to get in the downward dog position while latched on or put her foot in my face!) but it's also really fun!

Ha, it seems I trailed off the main idea which is why I love nursing.

Besides the benefits there is nothing more amazing than that moment when your baby smiles while nursing, or you two look each other in the eyes or the hand that caresses your neck.

It truly is a gift that everyone should experience, there's nothing like it.

A newborn baby has only three demands. They are warmth in the arms of its mother, food from her breasts, and security in the knowledge of her presence. Breastfeeding satisfies all three. ~Grantly Dick-Read

No comments: